Dis-qualifier- Please Read
If your film is showing in another woman’s film festival in LOS ANGELES county during our festival weekend you will be disqualified from the LA Femme International Film Festival. We want our festival attendees to focus on all the events, networking and seminars we offer so please understand this is to maximise your exposure at the festival weekend and your opportunities to mix with industry executives.
1) About submission deadlines?
All our deadlines are postmark deadlines. No exceptions please.
2) What are the festival programs?
Premieres: an invitation-only category for special screenings of feature films from established female directors and production companies.
Feature film: this is exclusively for featuring films made in the united states or internationally by women directors only. In this program the films will compete for the audience la femme awards.
Feature documentary: documentary films can be foreign or American in origin and they must be directed by women for the audience la femme awards.
Producer’s feature film: these films will compete in for the best feature produced by women either in the united states or internationally.
Feature film writer: this category may be included with the other feature film categories above. We will honor the best screenplay written by a woman either in the united states or internationally.
Screenplay: this category awarded to best spec screenplay written or co-written by a woman either in the us or internationally.
Shorts: this category is open to any female producer, writer, director who has participated in one of the above categories or all of the above positions.
Commercial: this category is for women who directed a commercial or psa in the united states or internationally.
Music video: this category is for women who directed a music video of any type in the united states or internationally.
3) Do I have to select the category I am submitting to?
No. If your film is selected for the festival, our programming staff will determine which program best suits the project. Please submit works and we will figure out the rest. Make sure your application is complete.
4) Do you have to be a woman to submit a film?
- No this film festival is to support and nurture the development of women in leading film positions.
- A woman needs to be involved in one of the three film positions: director, producer, writer.
- Premieres are by invitation only.
- We accept films from all countries world wide.
- We will put your film in the proper category.
- Except for short films of all genres inclusive of animation.
- We accept music videos and commercials.
- We accept mobisodes, webisodes, games
5) How do you distinguish “shorts” from “features”?
The requirements are different for narrative feature films and documentaries.
Narrative feature films
- 40 minutes or less running length is considered a short
- 60 minutes or more running length is considered a feature
- There is also a mid-length film which is the high bread of both and over 40 but under 60 minutes in length.
- 30 minutes or less running length is considered a short
- 50 minutes or more running length is considered a feature
Anything that falls between, we will decide what category .
6) When does the LA Femme Film Festival take place?
The festival will take place October every year in Beverly Hills, CA.
7) Can I submit my film as a “rough cut”?
“Rough cuts,” “avid cuts,” or “temp prints” will be accepted. You should always list directly on the tape box which elements of your film are missing. This will assist us in the judging process.
8) Can I submit my film with a “temp track” or “scratch music”?
“Temp tracks,” “scratch music,” or “temp sound” will be accepted. Again, you should always list directly on the tape box which elements are missing.
9) Can I arrange a screening for you of my film print?
No. We now screen everything on DVD NTSC only.
10) Do you accept vhs tapes in pal or ntsc format?
We accept only DVD NTSC formats. Pleaes contact us if you need to submitt PAL DVD. We do make some exceptions.
11) Does LA Femme project in digital at the festival?
No we project in DVD only due to the overwheliming demand of filmmakers.
12) How many films can I submit?
As many as you like. However, each submitted film must have its own dvd, completed submission form, entry fee, and supplemental materials. Do not put multiple projects on the same screening dvd. Even if you are submitting a commercial or music video.
13) Does it matter how big my budget was, or if I have an agent or celebrities, or if it’s black & white, or a particular genre?
Not at all. Just send in the work. We will be selecting a wide variety of projects so no worries.
14) So what are you looking for? What kind of films stand out?
Good story telling with a female in one of three key positions, director, writer, producer. We look for well crafted films of all kinds with diverse voices that push the limits.
15) If my film is not chosen, may I speak with a programmer for notes or feedback?
Unfortunately, no. With numerous films to go through, we don’t have enough time to speak or correspond with you individually about your film. Please forgive us.
16) When will i find out if my film was selected?
We will contact you via email the first week in september. Please make sure that the email address and telephone you provide will be operational at that time. This is very important.
17) Do you accept submissions on dvd?
Yes, please read the following carefully.
Dvd’s must be submitted in plastic cases. These are the industry standard push-button hub, literature clip, full sleeve for artwork, dark plastic cases. Size is 5 1/4″ by 7 1/2″. No other cases of any kind will be accepted. If you do send an alternate case it will be discarded and replaced. Please don’t waste money or efforts on artwork that fits other cases.
Dvd’s must be formatted for zone 0 or 1 north america. No other zones are accepted in the submission process, including projects in international category.
Dvd’s must be formatted in mpeg video using the code of your choice. Neither quicktime (.mov) or microsoft (.avi) files are accepted.
Dvd’s must not include labels or stickers of any kind: only laser printed artwork, if any, should be on the disc itself. Many consumer labeling products (like stickers) can actually damage the disc and make it unplayable in our systems. If you are burning a consumer disc please write your project title, film id# and contact # on the disc with a black sharpie pen. Please test your consumer-burned dvd on several makes and models of players before sending it to our offices. If in doubt, always send a vhs tape as back-up. Technical problems can delay the completion of your submission.
18) If I submitted my information online and then I don’t send a dvd, can I get a refund on the application fee?
No. The application fee is non-refundable.
If you need further assistance after reading the information above or would like to be put on the la femme mailing list call the office at 310-441-1645.
If you have any further questions, please email us at submissions llapage@lafemme.Org